Monday, July 4, 2011

Whoopie! Its the 4th of July!

If this is the image that brought you here......thank you and welcome!

Happy 4th my friends! I hope you're enjoying the day, relaxing with friends, family, good food and more importantly great desserts!

Speaking about great desserts ( that was a nice segue, huh? LOL) I love 'colored' desserts and red , white and blue is certainly an excuse to color things. For example, a whoopie pie.

Is that what you thought it was? Good guess!

Its very simple actually.

I made the batter according to the recipe, but I divided it in half. I colored 1/2 red and 1/2 blue.

I used a 1" cookie scoop hoping they'd all be the same size.



I made the cream cheese frosting and simply sandwiched it between 1 red and 1 blue to make each whoopie pie.


I think this is so much fun for the 4th, not to mention how amazing red velvet whoopie pies with cream cheese frosting taste!

Recipe adapted from Cakeman Ravens Red Velvet cake recipe with cream cheese frosting.


Red, white and blue red velvet whoopie pies:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350
In a bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder together. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until combined and the batter is smooth.

Divide the batter evenly into 2 bowls. Color 1 bowl with red coloring ( I used Americolor Red Red) and the other bowl color blue ( I used Americolor Royal blue).

Scoop ( I used a 1" cookie scoop) onto a silpat, leaving at least 2 inches between each.

Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.

Let cool completely on a cooling rack.

Cream cheese frosting :
(2) 8 oz packages of cream cheese
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix cream cheese and butter until combined.on low speed until incorporated. Add the powered sugar cup by cup, making sure its incorporated well after each addition. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)


If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.



Comments are always welcome! Have a great 4th of July, or just enjoy your Monday!


Warmly,


Jess

No comments: