Saturday, July 16, 2011

Raspberry Puree- easy as 1,2,3 ingredients

I am moving soon. I'm feeling both happy and sad about the move. I'm happy to be moving to a different place, looking forward to meeting new people, experiencing a new town with new stores and restaurants- thats all very appealing to me.
However, I will miss the kitchen in this house more than I can put into words right now. I miss it already and I havent left yet. The kitchen is amazing and the next one .....well.....let's just say......sucks.
Anyway, im trying to use up some of the things I have already. It's working out well because I love a challenge and I keep telling myself this is like a very easy version of Chopped.
I started with something very easy because I had something in mind for a cake that used some of the other things I have already. ( Stay tuned for that delicious recipe!!)

Raspberry Puree. Its so versatile which makes it a great addition to your basic baking repertoire.

Let's get to it....

I already had a bag of raspberries in the freezer and also corn starch and granulated sugar in the cabinet. Lucky me. :o)

I combined 2 Tablespoons of water with 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch and added it to the raspberries in a pot. Then I added about 1/4 cup granulated sugar.




Let it cook over a med-high heat until there are no more lumps. This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.



Stir occasionally.


When the raspberries have all cooked down, strain it into a bowl to remove the seeds. I had to do it twice because I don't have a fine mesh sieve
When you're left with a sieve full of seeds, you're done. Easy, right?


Pour the contents of the bowl into whatever you wish to store it in. ( remember to let it cool completely before you put it in the fridge)


I filled a small squeeze bottle with some and put the rest in a plastic container.


** I almost forgot again- duh....A very nice addition to this would be Chambord.**


Raspberry Puree


1 12oz bag of whole raspberries

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 T water

2 T cornstarch

2-4 T Chambord


Add raspberries to a medium size pot. Combine water and corn starch. Mix well so there are no clumps. Add sugar and stir well.

Continue until the raspberries are cooked down ( ~5 minutes)

Add the Chambord and stir another minute.

Strain through a sieve ( fine mesh works best) into a bowl until all the liquid is in the bowl and you are left with just seeds.

Let the puree cool.


Thats it, its really that easy. Its also very verastile.


* you can adjust the sugar to your taste

* you can make it thicker by adding more corn starch

* you can add more, less or omit the alcohol

* you can substitute other fruit for the raspberries


Thanks for taking the time to stop by and see what's going on. Comments are always welcome, id love to hear from you!


Jess

3 comments:

Cakes, Etc. by Dana said...

Excellent Jess - I am going to try it.
Dana

Fiddlesticks said...

Love it Jess Will try that for sure :))
Thanks for sharing !
Diane

JessDesserts said...

Thanks Dana & Diane! It's so easy and delicious!